What AVID IS. . .
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination
- AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 6-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- AVID is an academically challenging class
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID levels that playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- AVID is for all students, but targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented school-wide and district-wide.
What AVID is not . . .
- AVID is not a remedial program
- AVID is not a free ride
- AVID is not easy
- AVID is not a niche program
- AVID is not a college outreach program